Oil Based Arm-R-Seal Urethane Topcoat
Arm-R-Seal topcoats are made with only the highest quality urethane resin, making them extremely durable and long lasting. They are formulated to be wiped on with a cloth or applied with a foam brush, thus eliminating drips and sags. They penetrate to provide deep down protection and that " natural" look.
Arm-R-Seal is available in Satin, Semi-Gloss, and Gloss.
Arm-R-Seal is a heavy duty oil and urethane oil base top coat, which produces a beautiful hand rubbed quality finish.
- Sheens: Satin, semi-gloss and gloss sheens.
- Sanding: On bare wood sand to 150 or 180. Can be wet sanded into the wood using 400-600 grit. Wipe off excess after sanding.
- Sealer: General Finishes Seal A Cell Clear, Pre-stain Natural Conditioner, or can be used as a self sealing finish. Can also be used over Danish Oil, Lin- seed Oil & Tung Oil once they are dry.
- Color tone: Warm amber tone
- Application: Wipe on with a cloth, natural bristle brush, foam brush, paint pad applicator, or spray
- Coats: Minimum 3 coats, additional coats can be applied
- Recoat: 12-24 hours
- Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
- Coverage: 200 sq. ft/qt
- VOC: < 575grams/liter
Recommended uses: Windows, bookcases, wall shelves, furniture, toys, ta- bles, dressers, stools, millwork, doors, Floors.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Will Arm-R-Seal work on all woods? Yes, Arm R Seal will give woods grain definition and depth, and it will produce a warm amber tone over time.
- Iâm experiencing whitish streaks in the finish when using Arm-R-Seal (Satin)...what can I do? We call them friction streaks and they occur when you press your applicator too hard when leveling the finish. Sand the surface and apply another medium to heavy coat. Spread out the Arm-R-Seal across the entire surface and lightly level our (not wipe off) the finish in the di-rection of the grain.
- Can I use shellac under Arm-R-Seal? Yes If using shellac apply only one light coat, dewaxed, 1# cut, and sand before applying Arm R Seal for adherence.
- Can I apply oil base Arm-R-Seal over a water base dye or wood stain? Yes as long as the stain is fully dry. The Arm R Seal will give it a nice warm tone.
- How long do I have to wait after I stain? Oil base stains over night, water base 2 hours. High humidity and temperatures below 60F will extend the dry time.
- Can Arm R Seal be used over oily, exotic woods? Yes, however sometimes there are drying issues. Over exotics we recommend first using a 1# cut of shellac, sanded, then followed by 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal.
- How can I tell if my finish is dry? If the finish feels cool to the touch or if it gums up your sand paper it is not dry enough and you need to wait longer.
- Can I use Arm-R-Seal to finishing floors, table tops, kitchen cabinets? Yes, it is tough and durable and perfect for high traffic use.
- I rushed my project and now the Arm-R-Seal has a blush, it wonât dry, and itâs still tacky. What can I do? This will happen when the underlying stain or top coat has not thoroughly dried. The surface must be dry before continuing. Wipe down your project with mineral spirits and use a fan at a low speed to push air across the surface to assist drying. Let dry until you can bring up dust when sanding with a fine paper. Unfortunately this could take days.
- Do I need to sand between coats of finish? You donât have to for adherence, but buffing lightly with 400 paper, 0000 steel wool will produce a smooth surface.
- Can I rub out or polish Arm-R-Seal? Yes after a couple days use a good paste wax or GF Satin Wax. For high speed buffer wait two weeks to cure.
- What is full cure time? Two weeks to reach optimum hardness and water resistance.