An unusual combination of oils and urethanes, Seal-A-Cell Clear for decades has served craftsman as the best way to get the that "natural" look on beautiful woods that aren't to be stained.
The oils penetrate deep within the wood to highlight the warm natural look and the urethane insures a deep hardness. Follow with multiple coats of Arm-R-Seal topcoat . Seal-A-Cell can be wiped on or applied with a foam brush.
Seal a Cell Clear Is a clear wood sealer comprised of oils, urethanes and waxes. Seal A Cell Clear can be used as a clear wood sealer on its own for a light oiled look. Can be used as a wood conditioner to control penetration of stains, used to dilute other stains and as a base to add universal tints to achieve custom colors.
Application: Wipe on, Natural bristle brush, foam brush, paint pad applicator
- Coats: normally 1 coat
- Recoat: 6-12 hours
- Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
- Coverage: 200 sq. ft/qt
- Sanding: On bare wood sand to 120 or 150.
- Top Coats: Used alone or top coated with GF oil base Arm R Seal, GF Gel Satin or water base Enduro-Var, High Performance or PolyAcrylic.
- Use: Interior only
- VOC: <550 g/l ( 4.59 lbs/gal)
Recommended uses: windows, book- cases, wall shelves, furniture, toys, tables, dressers, stools, millwork, doors.
WARNING: TEST FOR COMPATIBILITY WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT WITH PRODUCTS FROM OTHER BRANDS. General Finishes products should be tested to your complete satisfaction before using. General Finishes will not be responsible for any failure if our products are used in conjunction with other brands of finishes. We do not test General Finishes products with those of another manufacturer and will not accept liability if there is a compatibility issue.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can the Seal A Cell Clear be used to prevent blotching on woods such as cherry, poplar, and pine? Yes Seal A Cell Clear will control stain penetration, which results in a nice even color tone, and less blotching. Apply Seal A Cell Clear with brush or rag, then wipe off excess. Apply GF oil base Gel or Wood Stain over wet Seal A Cell. Let dry overnight, top coat with Arm R Seal or Gel Satin. When using wood conditioners stain color will be 20% lighter, so adjust color before staining.
- What else can I use the Seal A Cell Clear for? Seal A Cell Clear can be used as a clear stain base. Add universal tints to Seal A Cell to achieve custom colors. Add Seal A Cell Clear to other like GF oil Base stains to dilute or make lighter. Apply Seal A Cell Clear on bare wood to give a deep rich oiled look. Natural will penetrate in to bring out grain and definition.
- What is the difference between Seal A Cell Clear and Natural Pre Stain Conditioner? They can be used for the same purpose. Seal A Cell has more resin and will build more if used by itself. To use as a light oiled fin- ish: apply several coats, drying 24 hours between coats, and finish with GF Satin Wax. This application gives a natural oil look that works great for picture frames, clocks, or any item that does not need high durability or water resistance. Use Arm R Seal top coat for items such as tables, chairs, and other furniture.
- Will oil base Wood Stains darken with a second coat? Slightly, penetrating stains will only leave so much color. When using the Seal A Cell Clear or Pre- Stain Conditioner your color will always be about 20% lighter. Add a darker color to tone or add a universal tint to darken before staining. Apply stain on and wipe off all excess. Do not let color pool on surface, as any stain that has not penetrated in, or has not been wiped off, will come off when you apply top coat. Oil base stain need to penetrate in to leave color.
- What finish is best over the oil base Seal A Cell Clear or Wood Stains? GF oil base Arm R Seal or GF Gel Satin is the recommended top coat. Let dry over night, before top coating. If It is raining, humid, or winter dry times will be longer, this is normal.
- Can I put water base top coats over the Seal A Cell Clear? Yes the Seal A Cell will bring out the grain and depth of the wood giving an oil base look, let it dry for 24-48 hours. Then you can top coat with any of the water base products. PolyAcrylic and High Performance are water white, and will add no color to your stains. Enduro-Var has a nice amber tone similar to oil base urethanes and will enhance wood grain and give a nice warm tone.