From GF University at https://university.generalfinishes.com: Get The Look: GEL STAINED STENCIL.
GENERAL FINISHES CHALK STYLE PAINT: French Vanilla*
GENERAL FINISHES GEL STAIN: Antique Walnut
- Stencil Application: Desired stencil and delicate surface painters tape for coach lines.
- Apply: Foam brushes or pad applicators (cover paint pad applicators with a nylon footie stocking to contain loose bristles), and bristle brushes to pull stain out of corners, or a sprayer.
- Wipe away: Paper/Shop towels or lint-free absorbent wiping cloths. Do NOT use cotton t-shirts.
- Sanding: 220-grit sanding sponge to sand between product coats and oil-free tack cloth to collect dust.
HERE'S THE TECHNIQUE:
- Tape off coach lines. Use a delicate surface painters tape for coach lines for easy removal later.
- Begin to stipple stencil design using GF French Vanilla Chalk Style Paint* to piece. Add additional coats if desired. Be sure to apply paint between coach lines.
- Remove tape while paint is still wet.
- Allow paint to dry up to 24 hours.
- Apply a liberal amount of GF Antique Walnut Gel Stain onto the piece (including the painted stencil design) in sections.
- Wipe off excess Gel Stain with terry towel.
- Allow stain to dry up to 12 hours.
- Using a 220-grit sanding sponge, lightly sand the surface.
- Remove dust with tack cloth.
- Apply 2nd coat of Gel Stain.
- Wipe excess stain off with terry towel.
- Allow the 2nd coat of Gel Stain to dry up to 12 hours.
To seal in color, apply 2-3 coats General Finishes High Performance Topcoat or General Finishes Flat Out Flat Topcoat.
*General Finishes Chalk Style Paint has been discontinued. To recreate the color French Vanilla, mix 1 part GF Linen Milk Paint with 1 part GF Antique White Milk Paint.
Where to Buy General Finishes Products.
Subscribe for more videos from General Finishes.