Never Apply Pro-UV Flooring Topcoat directly to Raw Wood or Wood That Has Only Been Stained.
Preparation for Application over General Finishes Pro Shield or Pro Image Flooring Topcoats
- The floor must be sanded properly using NWFA specifications, finishing with a 120-grit screen. If this is not done correctly, the finish may have visible scratch marks.
- For unstained, natural raw wood floors, apply one coat of Pro Sealer and two build coats of either of General Finishes flooring topcoats prior to applying one coat of Pro UV per instructions on these pages: General Finishes Pro Image or General Finishes Pro Shield Topcoat.
- For stained-only floors, apply two build coats of either of General Finishes flooring topcoats prior to applying one coat of Pro UV per instructions on these pages: General Finishes Pro Image or General Finishes Pro Shield Topcoat.
If Recoating an Existing Floor (General Finishes does not recommend recoating an existing finish, but if you wish to proceed, the following are prep instructions)
- Clean off all wax, grease, and oils with an appropriate hardwood floor cleaner or a 50|50 mix of denatured alcohol and water.
- Buff the finish with a maroon pad and 240 strips.
- Vacuum all dust followed by wiping with a damp rag.
- Apply 2 coats of either Pro Image or Pro Shield Topcoat.
- A test area of the full finishing schedule is recommended before applying to the full floor to check for adhesion.