Enduro Conversion Varnish
Conversion Varnish is the latest addition to our professional water based product line. It is a two component post catalyzed urethane topcoat suitable for bar tops and commercial applications where ultimate durability is necessary. General Finishes Conversion Varnish has a 6-8 hour pot life once catalyzed and can be re-coated in 1-2 hours.
GENERAL FINISHES CONVERSION VARNISH Conversion Varnish is a post catalyzed high solids, two component urethane formulated for ultimate durability and chemical resistance. Note: Requires NCO Catalyst
- Sheens: Flat, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss
- Sanding: Sand bare wood to 220 grit.
- Additives: Extender, adds more open time. Accelerator, quickens dry time. Do not use Crosslinker use the correct NCO catalyst.
- Use: Interior and Exterior.
- Compatibility: Can be used over any GF water base Top Coat, Sanding Sealer, Wood Stains, Dye stains, RTM, Glazes, and Milk Paint
- Color: Clear
- Cure Time: 1 week
- Application: Spray only - has excellent flow and level for heavy duty wear surfaces.
- Coats: 3 coats, additional coats can be applied depending on use.
- Recoat: 1-2 hours
- Spray Tip Sizes: Tip sizes recommended: Compressed Air .040, HVLPâ .043-.051, Airless .009-.013. Air caps should be medium size.
- Cleanup: Soap and warm water
- Coverage: 450-500 sq. ft/gal
- Weight Solids: 28% VolumeSolids: 25.5%
- Viscosity: 30-40 Seconds, Ford # 4 Pot Life: 6-8 Hours
- VOC: < 195 g/l ( 1.63 lbs/gal.) Actual VOC < 65 g/l (0.45 lbs/gal.)
Recommended uses: suitable for com- mercial tabletops, bar tops, cabinetry, doors, and millwork.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can I thin Conversion Varnish? Yes a small amount of water or GF Extender will thin product. Reduce only by 5% increments, it is best to use the correct recommended needle nozzle size instead.
- Can I brush on Conversion Varnish? No it is a spray on product only. You could pad on a small area such as kitchen cupboard frames but larger areas would be hard to level. Use Extender to help wet out when brushing on 15-20%. (For brush applications a better option would be GF High Performance, add Crosslinker to move to a higher level of chemical and water resistance if needed.)
- What other GF top coats can I use the Conversion Varnish over? Conversion Varnish can be applied over all the GF top coats. Enduro Lacquer & Poly, PolyAcrylic, High Performance, Pre-Cat or Sanding Sealer, and Enduro-Var. In fact it will adhere to most other solvent top coats as well, but it is always best to test over an unknown finish first and do proper cleaning for adherence. Clean all areas first with 50% denatured Alcohol and 50% water mixture. Dip scotchbrite pad into mixture and scuff surface. Let dry, then sand with 3M super fine soft backed sanding sponge.
- What GF stains can I use the Conversion Varnish over? GF water base wood stains, dye, RTM, glazes and Milk Paints. Also can be used over GF oil base liquid or gel stains as long as they are dry 48 hours.
- Do I need to strain before spraying? Yes it is recommended to strain product through a fine mesh prior to spraying.
- How thick do you recommend spraying the Conversion Varnish? 3-5 mil thickness and spray medium wet films.
- Will Enduro Conversion Varnish add any color if sprayed over GF White Poly? It will add minimal color change.
- Can Conversion Varnish be used for toning? Yes - add GF Dye Stain, Wood Stain, RTM Stain or Trans Tints. Add no more than 5%-10% to tone. Apply two coats half strength vs. 1 heavy tinted top coat. Color will look even, with less chance of over laps or runs when layered on.
- How many coats are recommended? Depending on use of furniture 3 coats minimum. Use 4 coats for best ware for commercial use on bars, commercial table tops, bathroom vanities, around dishwashers, kitchen cupboards or high moisture areas.
- How much catalyst do I mix in with the Conversion Varnish? Mix 10% of NCO catalyst by weight or volume to the Conversion Varnish (e.g. 32oz. of CV add 3.2 oz. Catalyst) . Use gloves and eyewear when mixing. Stir well for 5 minutes, let sweat in for 10 minutes, strain with fine cone filter. Mix only what you are going to use, left over product will solidify after 6-8 hours. Do not leave in gun or pot overnight, always clean out when done spraying. Wear a full filter respirator (NIOSH/MSHA approved), spray in spray booth with proper ventilation. The finish and hardener can only be mixed once. Caution: Do not re-cap Conversion Varnish once mixed with catalyst to avoid pressure build-up.