Yes! But you must follow ONE simple rule to ensure the best possible finish: the underlying finish must be absolutely dry.
- When using a water-based product over an oil-based product, such as water-based High Performance Topcoat over oil-based Gel Stain, wait 72 hours before applying the water-based product.
- When using an oil-based product over a water-based product, such as oil-based Arm-R-Seal Topcoat over Water Based Wood Stain, wait 24 hours before applying the oil-based product.
OTHER RULES TO REMEMBER
- You cannot mix water- and oil-based products together.
- General Finishes Enduro-Var Urethane Topcoat can only be used over raw wood or General Finishes water-based wood stains or dye stains. Enduro-Var cannot be used with any oil-based product, sanding sealer or shellac.
- Oil-based finishes amber over time; do not use them over white or very light colors.