Skip to main content
America's Leading Manufacturer of Innovative Water-Based Wood Finishes
E-commerce, Brand and Prop 65 Policies
General Finishes strictly prohibits all GF retailers and distributors from selling on e-commerce sites without our approval. We do encourage you to sell our products via your own websites. Please contact your GF account representative with questions regarding this policy.
If you sell General Finishes products over the INTERNET or through CATALOGS into California, you are required to include warning notices on your INTERNET/CATALOG sites by August 31, 2018. Please contact your GF account representative with questions regarding Prop 65.
Brand Management Policy:
Using our trade name in any manner that would cause consumers to believe you are General Finishes is not permissible and is in violation of trademark law.
- General Finishes wishes to protect their established internet ranking and internet reputation
- Online viewers should easily be able to distinguish that you are a distributor or retailer representative and not General Finishes Corporation.
The following are not permissible:
- You may not represent yourselves as General Finishes in text, images or URLs.
- You may not include General Finishes in your main domain name or URL without a distinguishing identifier that you represent General Finishes in a territory or country as a distributor or retailer. For example, www.GeneralFinishesIrelandDistributor.ie or www.IrelandsGeneralFinishesDistributor.ie is permissible, www.GeneralFinishes.ie is not. The use of General Finishes in the URL is in violation of trademarks. would be confusing to consumers and dilute the ranking of www.GeneralFinishes.com.
- You may not redirect consumers to your site using top-level URL/domain that contains the words "General Finishes".
- Social Media and Blogs
- You may not include General Finishes in your social media handles, pages names or URLS such as Pinterest business name, Instagram page name or Facebook User ID without a distinguishing identifier that you represent another territory or country as a distributor or retailer.
- You may not include General Finishes in avatars (social media profile logos) without a distinguishing identifier that you represent General Finishes in a territory or country as a distributor or retailer.
- For example, you may not use General Finishes Ireland or only General Finishes in your avatar or handle, but are encouraged to use the term with a unique identifier such as [email protected]
- Logos and banners should clearly identify you as a distributor or retailer.
- Use of the General Finishes logo in social media posts and banners when representing yourself as a distributor or retailer for General Finishes. It may not be the main logo or the only logo. Your business branding must be included as well.
- Use of the logo on your website when identifying yourself as a distributor or retailer for General Finishes, but not as the sole logo associated with the site.
- Sharing content from or to General Finishes Social Media Channels keeping the acknowledgement and credit of the original author or artist intact.
- Use of content descriptions from www.GeneralFinishes.com as long as the content is uniquely rephrased (not copied) to avoid duplication penalties from Google.
- Use of the term General Finishes in product page URLS. For example, www.domainname.com/general-finishes-milk-paint/antique-white is permissible.