From GF University at General Finishes. Learn how to update kitchen cabinets and existing finishes with water-based wood stains.
GENERAL FINISHES WATER BASED WOOD STAIN: Espresso
GENERAL FINISHES EXTENDER
STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL: HAND-APPLY WATER-BASED STAIN OVER AN EXISTING FINISH
1. Stir contents well.
2. Prepare surface by scrubbing with a 50:50 mix of denatured alcohol and water using a Scotch Brite Pad. After dry, lightly sand with fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper.
3. Wipe off dust with an oil-free tack cloth or a water-dampened rag.
4. Test the color on the underside of the project before you begin.
5. Apply stain.
6. Using a bristle brush, feather out uneven areas and pull excess stain from corners using a bristle brush. Discharge accumulated stain from the brush onto a dry paper towel as you work.
7. Let the stain dry 2-4 hours in ideal conditions (50-70% humidity, 70*F/20*C).
8. Optional: apply a second and third coat to deepen the color.
9. Finish with 3 coats of GF topcoat.
Where to Buy General Finishes Products
More How-To Videos from General Finishes
SEE RELATED VIDEOS BY GENERAL FINISHES
How to Update Kitchen Cabinets by Toning With Water Based Finishes
How to Update Existing Cabinets, Furniture & Projects with Gel Stain
How to Gel Stain Kitchen Cabinets Using Dry Brush Technique
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets with Milk Paint
How to Spray Water Based Topcoat
How to Apply Water Based Topcoat - Hand Application
CONNECT WITH GENERAL FINISHES
GENERAL FINISHES DESIGN CENTER
GENERAL FINISHES BLOG