From GF UNIVERSITY, at General Finishes. Learn how to lay down a smooth water based polyurethane topcoat on a large surface, such as a wood table top.
GENERAL FINISHES HIGH PERFORMANCE: Satin
Watch Sara apply High Performance Satin Water Based Topcoat to this stained tabletop. Here are the keys to an effortless, even finish:
1. Use a large applicator for large surfaces, such as a paint pad.
2. Apply liberally with minimal back-brushing.
3. Leave the final lapmarks alone and WALK AWAY. They will tighten down.
4. 3 coats is plenty. Dry 2+ hours between coats and finish sand in between coats with a used 220 sanding pad or a new 320 sanding pad. You can tell if the finish is dry enough to sand if it kicks up a white, powdery dust with the sanding pad.
5. Wait 72+ hours if applying over an oil based finish.
Check out how to spray water based topcoats here
Where to Buy General Finishes Products
More How-To Videos from General Finishes
SEE MORE TOPCOAT VIDEOS BY GENERAL FINISHES
How to Spray Water Based Topcoat
Can Oil and Water Based Products Be Used Over One Another?
Pearl Effects, New Gel Stain Colors & Flat Topcoat
How To Apply Water Based Topcoat to a Large Surface
How to Apply Water Based Topcoat - Hand Application
How To Prevent Streaking With Water Based Topcoat
How to Darken an Existing Finish by Toning
A Comparison of Grain Pop Between Oil and Water Based Topcoats
How to Apply Gel Stain and Gel Topcoat to Raw Wood
CONNECT WITH GENERAL FINISHES
GENERAL FINISHES DESIGN CENTER
GENERAL FINISHES BLOG