Oil Based Gel Urethane Topcoat
Gel Topcoat may be used to top coat any stain. Although Gel Stains contain urethane, Gel Topcoat has a higher content of urethane and may be used to top coat Gel Stains for more protection.
Gel Topcoat is available in satin. For semi-gloss or gloss sheens, use Arm-R-Seal Topcoat.
Gel Satin is a heavy duty oil and urethane oil base top coat, which produces a beautiful hand rubbed quality finish. Gel satin is a thicker consistency, so there's no drips, runs or spills.
- Sheens: Satin
- Color tone: Warm amber tone
- Application: Wipe on with a cloth, Natural bristle brush, foam brush, paint pad applicator
- Recoat: 12-24 hours
- Cleanup: Mineral Spirits
- Coverage: 200 sq. ft/qt
- Coats: Minimum 3 coats, additional coats can be applied
- Sanding: On bare wood sand to 150 or 180. Can be wet sanded into the wood using 400-600 grit. Wipe off excess after sanding.
- Sealer: General Finishes Seal A Cell Clear, oil base Pre-stain Natural Conditioner, or can be used as a self sealing finish on it's own on bare wood or stripped surfaces.
- Use: Interior Use only
- VOC: < 550 grams/liter
Recommended uses: windows, book- cases, wall shelves, furniture, toys, tables, dressers, stools, millwork, doors.
WARNING: TEST FOR COMPATIBILITY WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT WITH PRODUCTS FROM OTHER BRANDS. General Finishes products should be tested to your complete satisfaction before using. General Finishes will not be responsible for any failure if our products are used in conjunction with other brands of finishes. We do not test General Finishes products with those of another manufacturer and will not accept liability if there is a compatibility issue.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Will Gel Satin work on any wood? Gel Satin will give woods such as cherry, walnut and mahogany grain definition and depth.
- Will Gel Satin amber over time? Yes this product like most oil base products will continue to amber, especially if top coated with the Gel Satin or Arm R Seal.
- Can I use shellac under Gel Satin? Yes If using shel- lac apply only one light coat, de-waxed, 1# cut, and sand before applying top coats for adherence.
- Can I apply oil base Gel Satin over a water base dye or wood stain? Yes as long as the stain is fully dry, the Gel Satin will give it a nice warm tone.
- I use Danish and Linseed Oil for staining. Can I top coat these with Gel Satin? Yes you can seal long oils with Gel Satin. Let them dry out a good week first. Wipe down surface with Mineral Spirits to remove any oil and to secure a good bond before top coating.
- How long do I have to wait after I stain? Oil base stains over night, long oils 1 week, water base stains 1-2 hours. If It is raining, humid, or winter dry times will be longer.
- How can I tell if my finish is not dry? If the finish feels cool to the touch or if it gums up your sand pa- per it is not dry enough and you need to wait longer.
- Can I use Gel Satin to finish table tops, or Kitchen cabinets? Yes this product is a tough durable urethane, but larger projects will be time consuming with a wipe on Gel Satin. A better product would be our Arm R Seal which is a wipe on also, but can be brushed on for large items, that need a heavier film finish.
- I rushed my project and now my Gel Satin won't dry and it's sticky. What can I do? This will happen when the underlying stain or top coat is not dry. Wipe with a soaked rag of mineral spirits. This will open up the surface and allow the product to start drying again and take away the stickiness. Let dry a good 24-48 and then you can re-coat.
- Do I need to sand between coats of finish? You don't have to for adherence, we buff lightly with 400 paper, 0000 steel wool to take away any nibs and to get surface as smooth as it can be.
- Can I rub out or polish Gel Satin? Yes after a couple days use a good paste wax or GF Satin Wax. For high speed buffer wait a good two weeks to cure.
MSDS & Data
1 year 38 weeks ago
2 years 1 week ago
3 years 11 weeks ago
4 years 9 weeks ago